Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Reflection

I walked past the mirror in my room today and saw someone I didn't know. I turned around and looked at myself closely. The girl in the reflection wasn't me. I looked older, maturer. It scared me. Seeing my reflection today was like a bomb dropping. I have finally realized that, yes, I am growing up. I've never wanted to grow up. I've always wanted to live like Peter Pan in Neverland. The land of pirates and children and fairies. The land where growing up is only a myth. I know this sounds completely childish but growing up is my biggest fear beside being alone. I guess in a way I've caused this on myself. I searched for a job and now have one. I have looked at colleges and found one that I'm in love with. I have also selected a major after of years of being undecided. I've thought about life outside of school. And I've learned that in order to get on with life some things must be let go. Like friends and habits. Without realizing it, I have grown up. I may work at a nursery, but I work. Not just babysitting or playing on the playground. I have a job. I take trash out, sweep the floor, clean the bathrooms, vacuum the floors, and mop. And I've found a new appreciation for scented trash bags! Although, every now and then, you can catch me with a shovel and a bucket in the sandbox creating sand castles with the kids. I may have grown up but my childish nature will forever live with me. The little things will always amaze me. And Toys R Us will always be my favorite store. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment